I’m super excited to show you guys my latest FO: Andrew’s Brownstone:
I don’t have any fancy professional photos yet, but I do have some from our walk around London today.
I’m super happy with Sublime’s Organic Merino for this sweater… The weather today in London was in the mid-50’s, and Andrew was only chilly when the wind picked up.
I haven’t had a chance to block it yet, so the collar isn’t behaving as well as I’d like, but here’s a tamed detail shot:
I made a few alterations to the pattern. First off, the pattern is written as a bottom-up sweater, with the sleeves being the first items to knit. I don’t like guessing on sleeve length (being chronically monkey-armed myself), so I skipped straight to knitting the body. When I got to the area where the sleeves would normally be attached, I just provisionally casted on the sleeve stitches. After finishing the yoke, I knitted the sleeves downward from the provisional cast on, and then finished with the collar.
Regarding the sleeves: the pattern suggested a gradual taper to a cuff, but the sleeves weren’t fitting as desired, so I tapered them and then decreased 5 stitches on the first ribbing round, which allowed me to maintain the same needle size at the sleeve and snug up the cuff just a bit.
The fit is just right… But I’d probably block a little space into it, just to make it fit more like the original.
I thought the pattern was well-written and easy to follow. Like all of Brooklyn Tweed’s patterns, the actual PDF was nicely laid out and easy to read. I worked directly from my screen without printing the PDF, though.
I used 10 balls (and some change) of Sublime Organice Merino for this sweater. I got the wool on sale for 50% off at my LYS’s summer sale, so that puts this sweater in retail pricing at $55… at least, for the material.
And London! I love that these photos have such effortlessly beautiful settings:
Now time to update my project page! Thanks for being a good model, Andrew!
P.S. – Get some free yarn!